Artist Statement and Biography
My work is not intended to be a faithful reproduction of the landscape before me. Instead I paint by feel. The paintings that evoke the most emotion are those completed on location where I am able to allow my surroundings and the weather to dictate how I proceed. I try not to worry about the ending, rather I let the painting unfold and track its own course across my paper.
For me painting allows that perfect quiet, where I am peaceful and at peace with myself, and my surroundings. It's an escape from the everyday, a chance to experience the earth more fully, a chance to breathe and know that all is well.
To put it simply, I paint because it makes me happy. My hope is that the viewer can find a similar joy and peace in my work.
I was born in Cheltenham, England, in 1968 and moved to Kingston, Ontario, in the winter of 1992. When I first arrived in Canada I was unable to work while I waited for my papers, so I made use of the time by enrolling in some art classes which I enjoyed very much. In 2002 I graduated from the University of Alberta's Extension centre with a Fine Arts certificate. Since 2007 I have been pursuing my art full time and in May of 2011 I opened The Daffodil Gallery in the heart of Edmonton’s Gallery district which sadly closed early 2016.
• A Nice Cup of Tea: The Tea Girl, May 2016
• The Carrot Cafe, May 2016
• Flow: Royal Alexandra Hospital, Jan 2016
• Searching for the Light: Daffodil Gallery, April 2015
• Women portraying Women: VASA Spring 2015
• Real and Imagined: Daffodil Gallery Feb 2013
• Rhythms of Life: Scotia Place, May 2010
• Graduating Show, Faculty of Extension, 2002
• Finalist, International Watercolour Show 2016
• Winner - Art Upon Request 2011 "Dennys"
• First Place Portrait Competition - Arts Without Borders Juried Show, Lloydminster June 2010 “Evan the Hat”
• Finalist - Canadian Brushstroke Magazine Landscape Competition Issue 13 "Dennys"
• Graham Flatt Emerging Artist - June 2009
• 1st place Portrait Category - Arts Without Borders Juried Show, Lloydminster June 2009 "Robbie"
• 1st place Landscape Category - Arts Without Borders Juried Show, Lloydminster June 2009 “Ben’s Hike”
• 2nd place Landscape Category - Arts Without Borders Juried Show, Lloydminster June 2009 “Denny’s”
• 2nd place - "Orchidacious", The Alberta Orchid Society’s Painting Competition Feb 2008 “Orchids on the Mountain Path”
• Finalist - 8 minutes of peace August 2008 “Shush”
• 2nd place - Allied Arts Council 2008 Open Art Competition "Jasper Sky IV"
• Recipient of the Harry Wohlfarth Memorial Award November 2000
• Signature Member of the Society of Western Canadian Artists granted 2011
• Alberta Society of Artists General Member since 2010
• Visual Arts Alberta General Member since 2008
• Exhibiting member of Night of Artists since 2010